Saturday, February 19, 2011

So Many Tools, So Little Time!

Wow! Look at all these fun tools I used this week!

Flickr

BigHugeLabs

Dumpr

Zoho

Google Docs

Zamzar

SurveyMonkey

Doodle

Stumbleupon

Rollyo.com

BubblUs

Voki

Jing

Animoto

BigHugeLabs and Dumpr were hugely appealing photos enhancement sites. I loved how they were easy, free, and fun. StumbleUpon was a very interesting time waster that I plan to visit again. I’m not sure how useful it would be for educational uses, but it was fun to play with and interesting to look at all the random sites. Rollyo, on the other hand, would be a great way for teachers to set up a “controlled” search engine, so students get the chance to really search but without ending up in inappropriate territory. It seems like Rollyo could be really effective in helping students avoid wasting time as they research. I don’t foresee using Zoho—seems too complicated and doesn’t offer anything that GoogleDocs or a wiki don’t already have. I had trouble loading Jing on my computer, but I like the possibilities it offers for real time communication between two computers. All in all, I had a great time exploring these online tools and look forward to sharing them with others.

I had looked at Flickr before but had never loaded any pictures. I was happy to see how simple it was to post photos. I enjoyed exploring the Creative Commons section. The Library of Congress section was so much easier to use than the actual Library of Congress site. Obviously there’s more on the regular site, but I hope they’ll be migrating more and more material to Flickr. I’ll be working with Flickr more next week to learn what other exciting features are there.

1 comment: